Wednesday, August 6, 2008

3-Way Chess

Many of you are probably familiar with the famous 3-Way Chess board that circulated around the internet a while ago. If not, it is absolutely worth a look.

I instantly knew I wanted to play this weird game, so I scoured the internet for any store selling or importing these boards. Sure enough, all the sites I was able to find were either out of stock or out of business. The obvious solution then became to make my own. I drew up the basic plans, calculated some measurements and degree angles, and got my supplies.


First off I needed 3 boards of high-quality wood of specific dimensions, a ruler/T-square, protractor, dark wood stain, and a few other miscellaneous items. I cut them to the right shape, sanded them down. It's worth noting that one should never use pencil to mark certain woods. It makes a depression that requires heavy sanding to remove, making chalk the ideal marker. I wish I knew that before I marked up the 'squares,' because now the pencil marks are here to stay. Painter's tape was used to keep them separate during staining.





I picked this moment to screw up monumentally. I neglected to remember just how much stain bleeds, providing a serious setback.




Of course this prevented me fron continuing with the course of action I originally planned on. I instead elected to stain all three boards a universal dark color and paint in the squares. Fortunately, I had a large bucket of available white paint. I taped it right back up and slapped on the paint.


The paint dried very quickly in the hot sun, so I was able to do a second coat for all squares that same day. I ordered two sets of chess pieces, two black, two white. I went with a medium slate blue and painted one of the white sets.



I broke it in with a few games that went pretty well, but the rules get confusing very easily.

I like how it came out, but I'm not satisfied with it as a final project. There are a few flaws I'd rather not point out, and I would like to create a higher quality board at some point, but that's another project for another time.

No comments: