Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chess Prototype

After I finished the 3-Way Chess Board, I tried to think of a way to make a better one. Instead of paint or stain, I wanted a classic, two tone wood board. Naturally, with the irregular square sizes and different angles, it would be very difficult, if possible, but I was determined to find a way to work it out.

This was only a test run, so I didn't want to spend more than a day or so on it.

Like any sufficiently insane person, I decided to make a scale model of the board, and work out the problems in advance. I cut up a board of wood into 1/4 scale size (though proportionally extremely thick).




To simulate using two different types of wood, I stained half of the pieces. To keep things moving, I dried them off quickly and went with what I had.




I measured out the angles, which was far more difficult at such a small scale and cut out the pieces. I had to use a hacksaw for these fine, small cuts, and I really can't convey just how boring it was for however long it took. I glued the pieces together, and the result was not too bad.






It doesn't look great, but each saw cut was made freehand, so to speak, at a small scale where precise degree measurements are very difficult.

After the first piece was finished, I decided I wasn't going to bother with the other two, or a border. I worked out a few good methods to facilitate the tedious parts and whatnot, and determined the project was possible. However, I also decided that a full scale version of this is beyond the realm of typical hand tools, and I will need access to at the very least a table saw before I can start the real board.

No comments: