Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Snaking Wooden Sculpture

I order Chinese food a lot. It's cheap, delicious, and greasy, so how can I go wrong? Unfortunately, I am not much of a chopstick user. The restaurants don't know this, so they continue to ship the things in each and every delivery, never knowing that I have a kitchen drawer dominated by the good sticks.

Waste issues aside, I can never bring myself to throw out chopsticks because they are so incredibly useful in everyday life. I can't count all the times I've needed a small instrument for stirring something, holding something up, etc., perfectly accomplished by one or many chopsticks. the other day, in a fit of rabid boredom, I took a handful of chopsticks and a razor blade, and cut them up into roughly uniform sizes. I broke out the hot glue gun and cemented them together again in winding, snaking patterns.

After an hour or two, I was content with the weird sculpture I made and put it aside for the day. Upon further inspection the next morning, I ceased being content and looked at the roughness of it, and resolved to do something. I located an aging can of cheesy gold spraypaint, and gave it a healthy coat. This was the effect I was going for, and I was happy. I left it out to dry and returned in a few hours.

Some combination of the liquidity of the paint and the heat of the sun wreaked havoc on the glue, and successfully tore it into the tiny pieces it started as. I neglected to take a picture of it before the meltdown, so all I have left is a pile of gold woodchips covered in glue.

Pictures to show the senseless destruction:
Oh! The Agony!
Oh! The Agony!

This was never a major project, and took almost no time, but it's still depressing to see it fall the pieces. It would be more work to repair it than it took to build it in the first place. The remains have been relocated to my garbage bin.

No comments: